Winter Sports in Bedford VA
If you’re a hunter or a fisher, Bedford is the place for you. There are many great places to hunt and fish but you need to know the laws and regulations first. Visit the VA game and inland fisheries http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/ for more information.
Looking for a good place to hike or camp, visit a State Park! http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/ They have cabins for rent, lots of nature hikes and opportunities to learn about nature all around us . Of course the city or county parks are an option.
The Blue Ridge Parkway is always a great place to visit. Lots of hiking trails (climb Sharp Top), places to bike, camp, and sight see.
What about indoor Winter Sports in Bedford
The Roanoke Civic Center offers public skating several times a week. it is also the home of Valley Youth Hockey, The Roanoke Valley Adult Hockey Association, and the Roanoke Chapter of Rusty Blades. There is a league for all levels and age groups.
- The Valley Youth Hockey offers Learn to play programs, leagues, and a travel team.
- The Adult Hockey Association offers players 16 and up a high level of competitive non-check hockey
- The B League- Competitive level of play for mid level adult players
- The Rusty Blades is a non-profit club also designed to be a high level of non-contact play. The league is for “mature” skaters aged 45 or above with a focus on skills and fun.
- The Roanoke Civic Center is also the home rink of the Virginia Tech Hokies Hockey Teams. Tickets are $5 per adult and free for children 12 and under.
- The Lynchburg Youth Hockey Association provides a supportive environment for youth players of all levels.
- The Lynchburg Leagues- Thee are A and B leagues based upon player skills. They offer a good level of non-contact play.
- Rusty Blades- Lynchburg- Some of the same players from the Roanoke group and part of the same non-profit.
- Liberty University Hockey Teams- Liberty uses two levels of teams to help develop the skills and talents of the students.
Wintergreen-Has long been the skiing / snowboarding location for many people in central Virginia. Located in Nelson County, its just a short drive with plenty of quaint shops, wineries, and antique stores along the way.
The Homestead-Located in Hot Springs, a small community in Bath County, the Homestead offers a complete resort for those looking for a vacation. The Homestead opened in 1766 and has a long tradition of first class accommodations.